September 26, 2010

FOURTNER

Built in 1932 by Doc Fourtner and his wife to allow cattle to cross without the danger of being swept away by high water. The bridge is 66 feet long over the South Yamhill River. This is a difficult bridge to access as it is located on private property but the property owner is quite friendly and offered to walk me down to the bridge which is located in the back of their cow pasture. It appears the home and the barns on the property are the original structures on the land, matching the vintage of the bridge. She noted in the twelve years she's lived there, not many people stop by to look at the bridge and is quite frankly puzzled why anyone would be interested in this particular bridge. And I'm not quite sure which intrigued her most about my visit... that I arrived on my "motorbike" as she called it or that I was a woman travelling by myself.

It was somewhat challenging to capture the bridge properly with the current tree growth around it so I am posting a second picture from the front of the bridge as well. The owner said it was no longer safe to walk inside the bridge as some of the floor boards are coming loose. She works on it as time allows.

Latitude: 45°04'14.1"N
Longitude: 123°36'59.1"W

No comments:

Post a Comment